Oh boy, it was experiment time again! I couldn’t sleep yet again. I have been waiting on a phone call from my wife to tell me when she is coming back from her deployment. So I figured I need to do something tonight while I wait.
Let me back up a bit. The other night I was lying in bed typing away at one of my posts. Out of nowhere I heard a voice. It was whispering and I really couldn’t make out what it was saying. As I heard this voice I had a mental picture of a face but not a very clear one. I didn’t see this with my eyes; it was more of a thought in my head. This is no joke. There is no one else in this house but me. I believe in ghosts so I am fairly aware of unusual noises and what is going on around me. My dogs even tip me off on some things too. They usually freeze where their standing and just stare. It freaks me out sometimes because they are usually looking behind me. I usually end up just seeing a shadow out of the corner of my eye or something of that nature. Yeah, I’m weird, different, whatever you want to call me. I can’t help that these things happen to me. I also must state that all of what I know has been passed on to me by others that have experienced similar things. I’m not claiming to be anything here. I just wanted to try something since I couldn’t sleep. I had been lying in bed all day with a heating pad on my back because I hurt it yesterday lifting.
So have you ever asked yourself, “Is my place haunted? Was that a ghost?” Sure, it is important to know what a ghost and a haunting is, especially when one begins to wonder, “How do I know if I have a ghost or not?” First begin by ruling out all explainable occurrences. Is it truly paranormal? Well, I heard a voice that cannot be explained because I am the only living thing in the house that can speak. Can the activity be explained if you take a closer look at the evidence? As human beings, our minds have a tendency to work over time, which creates situations that are very believable, and seemingly paranormal, at times. A rational but open mind is the best tool in determining if the source of a possible scenario is indeed ghostly. Well, there are no windows open and it has not been windy for some time. So I don’t see this as me mistaking wind or even a TV on to be this whisper.
I have found it is important to not be afraid and understand that a ghost is a person who is most likely wanting to be recognized for assistance. Here are some of the things that have happened to me:
1) Electrical disturbances such as flickering lights. The one in the kitchen here drives me nuts. It goes on and off all the time. And it’s just one bulb that does it.
2) Movement of physical objects, such as doors opening or closing and even doors locking and unlocking. I have had many times where I have just unlocked a door and turned for a second and it has been locked again.
3) Goosebumps, chills, the feeling that you are being watched. I get these a lot.
4) Sounds, such as footsteps, voices, whispers, rapping, banging, something being
dropped, etc. These happen at least a few times a week.
5) Physically feeling something touch you that is not seen. Here is a story within a story for you. I might need to do a separate post on this. This happened to me almost 15 years ago.
6) Shadows moving about a room or in the corner of your eye. This is what usually happens when my dogs get involved.
7) Odd behavior from a pet. Animals are very in tune with spirits around them.
8) Unexplained or known fragrances. I get this a lot in our living room. No one smokes in my family and the living room usually has that old cigarette smell going on.
So I believe I met the requirements to think I have a ghost, next is to ask, “What do I do with the ghost?” Maybe a better question should be, “How can I help this ghost?” Hey I’m a compassionate guy. Nothing bad has happened to me. So why not try and help. I would want help if it were me.
I was given some advice to get over the creepiness feeling of thinking you have a ghost. Find the comfort in the fact that a ghost is only a disembodied human being and try to speak with the ghost. Most ghosts are lost, and looking for direction. So I stood in my hallway and asked out loud, “How can I help?” “I know you are there.” I got the chills almost immediately like I had the flu. After that I assumed the ghost left because a few seconds later I was fine again. I have to admit I was freaked out by that. Was it real? Did I just get myself all worked up and anticipated a feeling? I don’t know but I don’t see myself doing that again anytime soon.
I wondered if maybe I wasn’t “haunted” but more of a being watched over. Only some of those things have happened while in our current house and while my wife has been deployed. So I wonder if this was a spirit just here until she came home. I guess I won’t know since I didn’t actually receive any type of response from my house guest except my chills.
Have any of you experienced anything like this?